Wednesday, August 08, 2007

A Very Unhappy Birthday to You!

Well I am sad to report that my dearest husband has probably one of the crummier birthdays that I have seen. It all started with a very busy work day for him (he's not a big fan of those). Hopes to possibly get home early were shattered by some appointments and deadlines. Other events made it an overall horrifying day at work for him. Things at home were crazy too. His dear wife has been coaching Young Womens Softball everyday in a week long tournement and has also been playing on the stake team for region tournement every night. Plans to go out to a nice dinner and have a small party were crushed when I was informed of a double header. Luckily we had the chance to see our daughter perform in the Alpine Days Lip Sync contest. She has been planning this for about 365 days (since last years competition). She was brilliant! After her fabulous performance a shrill cry came from a nearby playground. Kael had been pushed from the top of the monkey bars and fell to break his arm. Where was mom? Yes, a softball game. Bryce took Kael and luckily Grandma and Grandpa Higbee were there to cheer Vienna on. It was a good thing too because what I heard was that when they announced the first place winner out of 40 kids, My little Vienna was SHOCKED! Our entire ward was there to scream and cheer and from what it sounded like, it was like a movie. AND I MISSED IT ALL! After a long game (yes, we killed them!) I finally rolled in at 10PM. My Kael was on the couch looking miserable, Vienna was on cloud 9 dreaming of what to buy with the 20 bucks that she had won, Saxon was very overtired, and my dear husband was on the back porch quietly reading a book. I wondered what I could possibly to to make this seemingly horrible birthday a little better. I grabbed his favorite cake that I somehow found time to make earlier that day (thank goodness), assembled the kids, lit some candles, and we had a oh so small and not to mention LATE party on the back porch. It was very sweet and I hope it made his supposedly "special" day a little more special. I guess it all boils down to family in the end. What a day. So here I TRY to sit and type this message with a rasberry on my butt the size of a cantaloupe that I recieved while trying to slide into a base and tell you about this crazy day. And in the end, I realize that I don't think I will ever forget that little birthday party on the back proch at 1030 at night because I was with the people I care about most in this world. I hope you all are having little magical moments like this with your families.
Love,
Lori
Oh, the only picture I have to share of this day is the one of the rasberry on my butt, so I will save you all the horror and send some others with the next post. You can thank me later!

1 comment:

Rachel H said...

Lori! Oh my gosh! What a day! Poor Kael, and did anyone get Vienna's performance on video? We'd love to see it! Shoot! Anyway...
Say Happy B-day to Bryce for us!
Love,
Rachel and Mark